With omicron spreading, here’s where to find a COVID-19 testJanuary 6, 2022
Jan. 5, 2022
- The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services has a website that allows users to search for and schedule a COVID-19 test. There are very few sites throughout the region where an appointment is available in the 36 hours from when this was written midday Jan. 5.
- The city of Detroit offers free rapid tests to anyone who lives or works in the city at the Joseph Walker Williams Community Center, 8431 Rosa Parks Blvd. On Wednesday, Mayor Mike Duggan announced an additional site — Huntington Place convention center downtown — for a total of 1,000 appointments per day Monday through Friday. Those eligible must call (313) 230-0505 to make an appointment. More details
- Oakland County operates two testing sites: at the Pontiac Fire Station at 348 South Boulevard West and Southfield City Hall, 26000 Evergreen Road. Test seekers must schedule an appointment by calling (800) 848-5533 or online via Orchard Laboratories. More details
- Wayne County operates a test site at Sheldon School Building in Canton, 44648 Michigan Ave., that is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. No appointment is required, but insurance is requested though not required. More details
- Washtenaw County is offering free drive-through rapid testing on 3-5:30 p.m. Jan. 6 in Ypsilanti. Its website also lists ongoing COVID-19 testing sites. More details
Drugstores and labs
- Plymouth-based RapidBio offers PCR testing with results within 48 hours at more than 50 pharmacies across Southeast Michigan and a drive-through testing location at USA Hockey Arena on Beck Road in Plymouth. More details
- LynxDX offers free drive-through testing at sites in Ann Arbor, 648 S. Wagner Road; Ypsilanti, 2515 Ellsworth Road; Brighton, 9299 Goble Drive; and Lansing, 5303 S. Cedar St. Test seekers must register on the LynxDX website to schedule an appointment.
- CVS Pharmacy offers rapid and PCR testing at more than 100 locations in the region. Most sites are booked for testing many days in advance.
- Meijer offers free drive-through testing at more than 100 Meijer and independent pharmacy locations throughout the state.
- Walgreens also offers free drive-through testing at most of its Michigan locations, though few appointments are currently readily available.
- Rite Aid joins its competitors in offering free drive-through COVID-19 testing.
- Beaumont Health offers testing for symptomatic patients with a doctor’s order. More details
- Beaumont Urgent Care centers offer limited walk-in testing and by appointment: More details
- Henry Ford Health System offers testing for patients with an appointment and order from their doctor. More details
- Most Ascension MyHealth Urgent Care locations offer testing and appointments are required at some locations. More details
- Michigan Medicine has testing at its hospitals and health centers for its patients and requires a referral. More details
- McLaren operates 13 clinics inside Walgreen’s stores offering PCR testing with regional locations in Rochester Hills, Lake Orion, Fenton and Davison. More details