The Detroit Regional Chamber’s 2018 Election GuideOctober 29, 2018
The Detroit Regional Chamber supports pro-economic development candidates who align with the Chamber’s public policy priorities. View the Chamber PAC’s endorsements for a full list of candidates the Chamber PAC is supporting in 2018.
Why the Chamber Supports Proposal 3
In this year’s primary election, only 27 percent of eligible voters in Michigan took to the polls. Promote the Vote, or Proposal 3, would remove barriers many Michiganders face when trying to vote. The proposal aims to increase the number of registered voters in the state to accurately represent the population and ensure the ballot remains diverse.
Proposal 3 would:
- Protect the right to vote a secret ballot
- Ensure military service members and overseas voters can obtain ballots
- Provide Michigan residents with the option to vote straight party
- Automatically register citizens to vote at the Secretary of State’s office unless an individual declines
- Allow a citizen to register to vote anytime with proof of residency
- Provide all registered voters access to an absentee ballot for any reason
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of elections by auditing election results
Thirty-seven states implemented one or more elements of the proposal. Learn more.
In the News
The Chamber prides itself on endorsing bipartisan, pro-business candidates and proposals. Read state and local news stories below.
Oct. 26, 2018
Gretchen Whitmer: I’ll Pay to Fix Michigan by ‘Closing Loopholes’
Detroit Chamber PAC Backs Whitmer
Oct. 24, 2018
Michigan’s Proposal 3: How It Would Make Registering to Vote Easier
Oct. 27, 2018
Opinion: Next Gov. Should Follow in Snyder’s Footsteps
Candidate Spotlight: McCready, Cox’s Leadership On Education And Talent Needed to Continue State’s
Candidate Spotlight: Crawford Fights For Jobs, Will Continue Michigan’s Comeback
Candidate Spotlight: Road Funding, Education Reform Top Priorities For Knollenberg and Tietz